Augmentin is an antibiotic made with the combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. In other words, it is an antibiotic belonging to a group of drugs called Penicillin. The medication offers assistance to fight against the bacteria in the body. However, it is not limited to treat bacteria, but to infections caused by bacteria. These are sinusitis, pneumonia, ear infections, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, and infections of the skin. Amoxicillin Clavulanate, on the other hand, is the potassium that helps in preventing certain bacteria from becoming resistant to Amoxicillin. In case, if you have severe kidney disease or liver problems, then it is better to consume of Augmentin.
There are three different forms of Augmentin or Amoxicillin Clavulanate, which is recommended by doctors-
- Immediate-release tablet
- Extended-releasee tablet
- Liquid Suspension
Some important information you must know
If you are allergic to any penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotic, including- Amoxil, Ceftin, Cefzil, Moxatag, Omnicef, and others, then you must seek a prescription from the doctor. In case you are switching from one tablet to another, do consult with the doctor. Consume a new tablet only as per the strength mentioned. One of the crucial things to know is Augmentin can make your birth control pills less effective. Do consult with your doctor about the non-hormone method of birth control to consume when you are already consuming Augmentin.
Augmentin and Alcohol
In general, mixing alcohol with Augmentin or any antibiotic is not a wise decision, as it can lead to dehydration and other health issues. Moreover, it can also lead to hindering the body’s natural ability to heal. One of the common alcohol and antibiotic interactions is with an antimicrobial agent called metronidazole. This medical agent is widely used in tablets, including Augmentin. Some of the ill symptoms one can experience when augmentin and alcohol mixed are-
- Nausea and vomiting
- Flushing of the skin
- Stomach cramps, vomiting
- Rapid heart rate
- Chest pain
Augmentin, if taken in the wrong way, can bring side effects in the body. However, it also depends on person to person. You must consult with the doctor before consuming the medication.
Some of the common side effects are-
- Skin Rash
However, these symptoms do not stay for long. If in case the problem persists, then do connect with your doctor.
Serious Side Effects
The liver problem is rare among these antibiotic consumers. However, people who consume Augmentin wrongly may see the development of liver damage. Usually, these problems go away when you stop the medication consumption. However, in many cases, the problem can arise. If this happens, do inform your doctor who will provide consultation. There are certain symptoms like-
- Stomach pain
- Yellowing of skin
People who consume antibiotics like Augmentin can develop an intestinal infection called Clostridium difficile. If you are witnessing any such sign, then do connect with the doctor. Some of the symptoms you will face are-
- Severe diarrhea does not go away
- Stomach pain
In many cases, severe allergic reactions can take place if there is anything wrong with doses of Augmentin. If your body regularly gets penicillin allergy, then the reaction is bound to happen. Make sure you stop the medication right after the allergic symptoms. Some of the symptoms are-
- Severe skin rash
- Swelling of the lips, tongue, throat
- Trouble breathing
Augmentin can sometimes lead to rashes in the skin. About 3 percent of people consuming Augmentin can face rash. If you have an allergic reaction, you will need to consume a different antibiotic.
Although fatigue is not much common among Augmentin consumers, those who are fighting infection will witness a chance of fatigue. Do connect with your doctor if the fatigue symptom does not go down.
Vaginal yeast infection is a common symptom if there is the regular consumption of Augmentin. In case you never had a yeast infection before, but lately getting the sign, then it is better to connect with the doctor.
Uses of Augmentin
As mentioned earlier, both adults and children can consume Augmentin for treating infection in areas like urinary tract, respiratory tract, ear, sinuses, and skin. Let us check some of the uses of Augmentin-
Augmentin for Urinary Tract Infection
Since Augmentin is FDA approved, it is recommended for Urinary tract infection treatment. Doctors, after proper examination of the patient, will consider advising this medication.
Augmentin for sinus
This medication is best for treating sinus problems. In both adults and children, sinus can be a common problem. When the patient faces a sinus problem, Augmentin is the first choice considered.
Augmentin for Pneumonia
Although Augmentin is not the only medication recommended by doctors, people facing pneumonia along with other medical conditions like- diabetes, liver or kidney disease, or heart disease will need to consume this medicine.
Augmentin for ear infection
This FDA approved antibiotic is not the first choice for ear infection in kids. Augmentin is for kids treated with medicine such as the Amoxicillin. Moreover, it is for those who carry ear infection even after consumption of Amoxicillin could not be treated.
What does Augmentin contain?
There are certain active substances involved in Augmentin-Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid. Each tablet contains amoxicillin trihydrate, about 875mg. Some other ingredients involved in the making of these antibiotics are- magnesium stearate, sodium starch glycolate type A and colloidal anhydrous.
The dosage of Augmentin depends on the age limit and the severity of the infection you are facing. An important thing you need to keep in mind is you should consume this antibiotic before the start of the meal. There are different dosages recommended by the doctor.
The usual dose of Augmentin for an adult is 500-mg for every 12 hrs. Alternatively, one 250mg every 8 hrs. In case of severe infections, the dosage will increase to the 875-mg tablet of the medication. Furthermore, the doctor would also suggest Augmentin 625mg during a specific time. If you have renal impairment, then do not go for the 875 mg tablets. You can consume the 500mg level dose.
Children should consume the tablet with meals. Twice a day regime, children can consume 200mg or 400mg of Augmentin. If the kid is facing less infection, then 25mg/kg/day in two divided doses every 12 hrs. or 20mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses every 8 hrs.
For Pediatric Patients
Infants aged 12 weeks with the pediatric condition is recommended the intake of Augmentin 30mg/kg divided in every 12 hrs. Doctors also recommend the consumption of 125mg of oral suspension.
Patients aged 12 weeks and older
Doctors recommend the intake of this dose every 12 hrs. However, in every 12 hr. intake and chewable tablet contain aspartame.
Augmentin ES-600 Dosage
Augmentin ES- 600 powder is for oral consumption. It does not contain the same amount of clavulanic acid. It contains 42.9 mg of clavulanic acid per 5 mL, whereas the 200 mg/5 mL suspension of AUGMENTIN contains 28.5 mg of clavulanic acid per 5 ml. The oral consumption in 90mg is divided into 12 hrs. Which you need to consume for 10 days.
One has to keep in mind that Augmentin ES-600 powder for oral suspension is not available for adults having difficulty in swallowing.
To consume this medication orally, tap the bottle until the powder flows freely. Add 2/3ml of water and shake vigorously to suspend powder.
Augmentin 1000 duo tablet
The Augmentin 1000 duo tablet is the combination to treat different bacterial infections. The tablet contains Amoxicillin, which interferes with the growth and division process of the bacterial cell wall. Clavulanic acid ensures extended anti-bacterial activity. If the doctor finds a severe bacterial infection in the lungs, airways, and central air, then this medication is highly recommended.
There are specific side effects of consuming Augmentin 1000 duo tablet-
- Allergic Skin Reaction
- Joint pain
- Skin yellowing
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Tooth discoloration
- Nausea or vomiting
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic that helps in fighting bacteria in the body. Clavulanate potassium, on the other hand, is a beta-lactamase that helps in preventing certain bacteria from getting resistant to Amoxicillin. When Amoxicillin and Clavulanate come together, it helps in treating infections caused by bacteria, such as sinusitis, pneumonia, ear infections, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, etc.
- In case, if you have severe kidney issue or liver issues, then you should not consume this medication. Also, if you are allergic to Penicillin, then to avoid consuming this medication.
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
- Before you consume this medication, here are a few things you should know-
- Do not consume this medication if you have kidney disease
- You have liver problems than never go for this medication
- Always consult with your doctor before you consume this medication to check the right dosage and other information.
How to consume Amoxicillin and Clavulanate?
It is vital to consume Amoxicillin and Clavulanate. You must first consult with the doctor. Follow the direction or prescription mentioned by the doctor for the best result. Never crush or chew this tablet. Swallow the pill whole or break it into half at one time. The medicine can cause some unusual results in your body if it is not consumed as per the doctor’s prescription.
For the best effect, consume this medication in different breaks. Continue to consume this medication until the prescribed amount of tablets is not finished.
Augmentin for Animals
If you are wondering Augmentin is only for humans, then you are wrong. This medication is for animals too. Augmentin is used on animals like horses, dogs, cats, and poultry. Let us check how Augmentin is treatable for animals.
Augmentin or amoxicillin+ Clavulanate, if used in dogs and cats, can help in treating a variety of infections. Animals, which face bacteria, get the medication of Augmentin. When these two drugs are included as a part of drugs, they act as to treat bacterial infection.
Uses of Augmentin or Amoxicillin + Clavulanate for dogs and cats
- Amoxicillin + Clavulanate consumed to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria on animals. Some animals are prone to these bacteria.
- Infections treated with amoxicillin + clavulanate may include skin infections, bone infections, wound infections, and infections in the mouth.
- Amoxicillin + Clavulanate is not effective for viruses and parasitic infections (such as worms or mites).
- Despite the combination of Amoxicillin plus Clavulanate, resistance may still occur with some bacteria and infections unresponsive to treatment.
Precautions to consider
- When administrating this medication on animals, it is vital to find precaution and side effects of the same-
- Generally, medicine is safe when prescribed by the veterinarian. However, it can cause some side effects in some animals. It can be in a rare case.
- If your dog or cat is allergic to the medicine, then it is wrong to prescribe the medication
- If your pet is hypersensitive to the drug, then it will defiantly get effected wrongly.
- In many cases, animals may vomit after the consumption of this medication. However, this situation may occur in only 10 percent of dogs. If the vomiting does not stop for long, then you need to visit the veterinarian.
How is Augmentin prescribed to animals?
- The dosage of the medication on animals depends on the condition. It ranges from 62.5 to 400 mg and a 50 mg/ml liquid oral suspension. These forms contain Amoxicillin to clavulanate ratio of 5 to 1.
- Never administer the medication to animals without the consultation of a veterinarian
- The dosage in animals and dogs ranges from five to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg) two or three times a day orally.
The duration of the medication administration depends on the condition of the animal. Make sure you complete the medication as per the prescribed way by the doctor.
Some more details about Augmentin-
Consumption as per the weight-
- Usual Dose- 1 tablet two times daily
- Higher Dose- 1 tablet three times daily
Children weighing less than 40kg
If your kid is 6 yrs. and is less than 40kg, then the doctor would prescribe Augmentin oral. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist before giving the medication.
Patients with kidney and liver problems
- If you have kidney problems, there will be some changes in dosage. Your doctor may choose a different strength or different medicine.
- If you have liver, problems you may have more frequent blood tests to check how your liver works.
What if Augmentin consumed more than prescribed?
If you consume Augmentin or amoxicillin-clavulanate, more than the specified amount than your body will see some changes. Stomach upset, nausea, body pain, and other such issues may arise.
If you forget to take Augmentin
In case you forget to take the dosage in the prescribed time, then do make it. However, do not take it too soon. Never take the medication back to back.
Common Side effects
- Thrush (candida – a yeast infection of the vagina, mouth or skin folds)
- Feeling sick (nausea), especially when taking high doses
- Diarrhea (in children)
- Uncommon side effect
- Skin rash, itching
- Raised itchy rash (hives)
Whether you have a mild infection or severe infection, always consult with the consult before consuming Augmentin and Amoxicillin & Clavulanate.
Published on: Dec 27, 2019, at 04:43